Wednesday 17 April 2013

Farewell to the Team - Hello Poorly Tummy

The Easter team left Sierra Leone on Sunday.....11 of them to head back to England and one to head back home to Romania. The team spent the two weeks here building the new toilet block for the Nehemiah Project in Kissy and also repainting the Palava Hut at the Adventist Hospital in Waterloo that Mission Direct built in December 2011.
 
One team member spent the two weeks with the staff and patients at the Waterloo Hospital, helping with admissions, taking blood pressure and observing the doctor as he did his rounds and other staff as they went about their duties - on the last day at the hospital we were given permission to observe an appendectomy operation......not something many of us get to see everyday!!
 
Since BA have taken over the BMI route between Freetown and Heathrow the flight times have changed - we had to leave the accommodation at 04:30 to catch the 06:00 ferry to Tagrin on order to be able to get the flight. I said my goodbyes to the team at the airport and as I made my way home for a much needed rest my tummy started to hurt......it slowly got worse until it was so bad that by half past two in the afternoon I was in bed......I stayed there until almost 4 o clock in the afternoon the next day, when I decided that I should see a doctor. It hurt when I was laying down, it hurt when I sat up, it hurt to breathe and it hurt when I coughed.......whatever I did it hurt! I've never felt anything like it before and as I'd seen an appendectomy just a few days before my imagination went into overdrive so I thought it best to get myself checked out. I went to the Adventist Hospital in Waterloo where the doctor examined me and arranged for me to have two injections and prescribed me some medication. Later that night I found out that Steve (my regional manager) had the same symptoms.....and while I felt sorry for him I was relieved that it wasn't just me - making it more than likely that it was something that we had both eaten that was giving us the problems.. It's now Tuesday evening and while I am still uncomfortable I am feeling much better and hopeful that after another good nights rest I'll be on the road to recovery.
 
I have the Chief Executive of Mission Direct and one of the Trustees arriving here on Thursday and I know that they are going to keep me busy so I need to be better by then!! Your prayers would be much appreciated!!
 

2 comments:

  1. I'll pray. Take care Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of your great discomfort and do hope you are by now are completely better. Will keep praying for you for energy at a busy time.God Bless.from
    Diana

    ReplyDelete